Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Sister’s Keeper Book Review

My Sister’s Keeper is a story about a family that contains a family member with cancer. Kate has the cancer called leukemia and for this reason the family decides to have another baby, Anna, in order to help save Kate’s life. Anna is a perfect donor match to Kate and that would help Kate survive longer than she was supposed to. But once Anna finds out that she needs to donate her kidney to her sister, she sues her parents for the rights to her own body. If she did this, Kate would die. The only reason she sues her parents was because Kate didn’t believe she would survive anyways and if Anna lost her kidney, that would change her life. In the end, after Anna wins the case and has the rights to her own body, she gets into a car crash. The car crash was so bad that after getting to the hospital, Anna was going to die. They donate Anna’s kidney to her sister and Kate stays in remission for at least six years. 
I originally watched the movie when it came out instead of reading the book. Many people said that the movie was really different from the book and the book was ten times better, so I had to see for myself. I enjoyed reading this book because the story is so different from what I normally read and that’s what kept me reading. Also, I liked the authors message which was anybody can take control of their own life. Many people can probably relate to Anna’s situation of being controlled and not being able to make their own decisions. This book shows that anybody in any situation can find a way to gain control and have free will. I enjoyed reading this book and I look forward to reading more books by the author, Jodi Picoult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment